Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Greg Hankins, my Dad

I will always be reading the book of you. Always singing the tune of you. Always walking the path of you. I will see you every day when I look in the mirror and when I look at my heart. Goodnight, my father, it's me, goodnight. Shanti shanti shanti. Amen. All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.
A piece of a song I wrote for you:
"I'm glad I have a heart, though now it's broken.
I hope another door will open.
Until then, I'll be strong.
Goodbye to the me I know beside you.
I hope that love will find you
And you won't wait too long.
Nothing lasts forever except our song.
Nothing lasts forever except our song."
Thank you to all of my friends who have been so supportive and who offered up prayers and thoughts for Dad over this last year and longer. I'm sorry that not all of you knew that he was sick. He was very private and never lost his sense of hope. He was trying to make friends with the EMS people and talking a blue streak until the very last moment. Our bodies are so fragile even when our minds are so strong and willing.
I love you, Dad. Call me on the banana phone sometimes.



Stephen Gregory “Greg” Hankins, 59, of Mount Gilead, died Sunday, July 24, 2016.
He died from complications from Myelodysplastic Syndrome and Acute Myeloid Leukemia (AML) at his home.
He was a native of Richlands and Jewell Ridge, Va.
Mr. Hankins was a graduate of Richlands High School and the valedictorian of the Class of 1975. He attended Davidson College, Davidson, and graduated cum laude in 1979, with bachelor’s degree with honors in religion. Mr. Hankins earned a master’s in divinity degree at Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass., in 1982.
He had worked as a consultant for Butterfield Communications in Belmont, Mass., under David Butterfield. In 1986, he and his family moved to Las Cruces, N.M., and he worked with his father and brother in a start-up newspaper venture.
The family moved to Omaha, Neb., in 1987 where he worked for Pappas Telecasting as the marketing director and in sales support at Channel 42 KPTM television.
Starting in 1988, Mr. Hankins worked for WTVF Channel 5 Television station in Nashville, Tenn., as the marketing director under General Manager Tom Erwin and eventually for Lemuel E. Lewis of Landmark Communications Inc. He served in this position for seven years.
In 1995, he and his family moved to Mount Gilead to pursue his dream career in the newspaper business, in the beginning working with his father and brother for two years at the Montgomery Herald, Troy, and eventually becoming the editor and publisher of The Seven Lakes Times of Seven Lakes. He did this for more than 20 years with his wife, Marcella (Marcy) Hankins.
He was preceded in death by his father, Robert Guy Hankins; maternal grandparents, Avery and Narcie Smith; and paternal grandparents, Sutherland and Georgia Hankins.
Mr. Hankins is survived by his wife, Marcella Hankins; daughters, Jennifer (Jeni) A. Hankins, of Nashville, Tenn., Sarah E. Hankins, of Greensboro; his mother, Ann Smith Hankins Shreve, of Jewell Ridge, Va.; brother Thomas G. Hankins, and his wife, Crystal, of Candor; half-sister, Stephanie Grayson Pierce, and her husband, Joshua, of Mooresville; his nieces and nephews; and his faithful cat, Olivia.
At Mr. Hankins’ request there will be no local service or memorial held.
In lieu of flowers, donations to defray medical costs may be made to: The Women of Seven Lakes, Hankins Account, 850 Seven Lakes North, Seven Lakes, NC 27376.
Arrangements provided by Pugh Funeral Home of Troy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's so nice of you to take an interest in my blog! Thank you for considering making a comment. I will try to get your comment on my blog ASAP. Thanks for your patience as I moderate it and make sure that it's not spam. Wishing you a wonderful day. Jeni