Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Poem for a mustachioed woodpeckker


Our friend, Susan Hankin​, is an animal lover and a brilliant teacher of animal law, but she also happens to take photos worthy of National Geographic. She has a plethora of birds just around her neighborhood in Southeastern Pennsylvania. Sometimes, I can't help myself and I have to write a poem to go with her photos. This one is about a male pileated woodpecker. Brilliant photo by Susan Hankin.

The Bird with the Red Mustache

I saw a bird with a red mustache.
He was dapper and dressed in grey.
Never a bird with such panache
has knocked on a stump, I say.

He is the pinnacle of the wood-pecking set
and I’m honored he graced our yard.
No there never was a gentle bird yet,
who pileated with as much charm.

by Jeni Hankins​

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's so nice of you to take an interest in my blog! Thank you for considering making a comment. I will try to get your comment on my blog ASAP. Thanks for your patience as I moderate it and make sure that it's not spam. Wishing you a wonderful day. Jeni