Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Microcassettes and Artistic Independence



You know what's great about making our own record? Complete creative freedom. No record company or management team to tell us that there's no commercial potential in this record, telling us they don't smell money (as was famously said in "Inside Llewyn Davis"). Being a freelance, totally independent, and working-class musician means the recent news about an expensive (when are they cheap?) car repair has a more significant impact on our day than it might for a big pop star. But on the other hand, finding a micro cassette recording I made of my great grandmother weeks before she passed away, and being my own boss, means I can put it on the record if I want to. Artistic freedom is one of the most important things in my life. I am glad Billy and I have fans and friends who love what we make and who need no taste-makers to decide for them. Together we are mighty!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's so nice of you to take an interest in my blog! Thank you for considering making a comment. I will try to get your comment on my blog ASAP. Thanks for your patience as I moderate it and make sure that it's not spam. Wishing you a wonderful day. Jeni