Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Back Home Tour, May 2018, VA, NC, & DC



Hello music-lovers!

Nearly half the year has run ahead of me before this first newsletter of 2018. But the touring season is coming along in a matter of three weeks, so here’s the scoop on the concerts ahead. If you want to read a bit more about what I’ve been doing this spring, then mosey on down to the end.
Back Home Tour, USA, May 2018. In May, I’ll be flying over to Washington DC for a five-stop mini-tour in Virginia, North Carolina, and DC. Everything begins on Cinco de Mayo (5 May) at Alex Roth & Peter Overby’s house in Falls Church, VA. Doors will open at 2pm, concert starts around 2:30, and tickets are $20. If you’d like to come along, you’d be welcome. Just write to Alex and Peter for their address at overroth2@gmail.com. This concert was SO much fun last year and their house is the PERFECT setting for my music. The following evening, on May 6th, my terrific Davidson College pals, Mary Clare Jalonick and Katie McKelvie, are hosting a concert upstairs at the Tenley Bar in the heart of Washinton DC. Tickets are $10, Doors open at 7, Concert starts at 7:30pm. Here’s a link to the show.

From DC, I will be zooming on down to Abingdon, Virginia, in the Southwest part of Virginia to join the super cool kids from the Junior Appalachian Musicians at the 4-H Center’s Ratliff Hall to celebrate their hard work this year learning traditional mountain music! After their recital, I will give a concert and then strum the ole guitar for the the cake walk! This is going to be a blast. Tuesday, May 8, Doors 6pm. 

After a little visit to my house in the Guitar-town, I will head over to Charlotte, North Carolina, to play a house concert at the home of my friend and fellow songwriter DeWitt Crosby and her husband. Tickets are $15 and you can email DeWitt for more information! dewitt.crosby@gmail.com ALL are Welcome. Thursday, May 17, doors open at 7pm. Music will start at 7:45. 

Then, I’ll finish up the singing part of the tour on Saturday, May 19, at the Appalachian Arts Center in Cedar Bluff playing for my hometown crowd! This place is gorgeous and full of treasures made by local artisans. At the time of the concert, the exhibit of Goodwin Family Textiles will still be on display! Tickets are $10. Doors open at 6:30, Concert starts at 7pm.

After that, I’ll be visiting with Mawmaw and getting ready for the umpteenth Smith-Joyce Reunion where I plan to set up a table and collect stories from my relatives. I’ll visit the family cabin and take walks with Rusty-the-dog.

And, don’t fret, my sturdy Englishman will be traveling with me to the USA, so those of you who met him last year, will get to say hello again!

This year, I have been writing songs, as always! You can hear one of my new songs and play along with me in this YouTube video on my new YouTube Channel.
Still from Video
I've also been taking dance and performance classes focusing on confidence, flexibility, strength, and agility. I’ve made a great bunch of girlfriends in London and I’m on my way to dance with them as I write to you!
Jeni Blowing a Kiss

This summer, I will be touring in the UK. I’ve already added most of the dates to my website, so I hope you will make plans to come along and sing with me!

In the fall, I will be heading back to the USA for two dates in the Los Angeles area – Fiddler’s Crossing in Tehachapi on Sept. 29th, and Pasadena Folk Music Society on October 6th. These concerts are both on Saturdays. I am afraid these are the only shows I will be playing out west this year because of my residency requirements in the UK, and I don’t know when I will make it out west next . . . so, perhaps you might fancy an excursion and make your way down from Davis, San Francisco, or the Central Coast for a long weekend? If not, I hope that music will bring us together in the future!
If you want to know more about any of the upcoming shows, visit my website or write to me at jeniannhankins@gmail.com. As always, if you'd like to host a concert or you'd like me to come to your school or library, write to me as well! 
Time to kick up my heels with my dancing gals!

I hope to see you soon!

Jeni
Thanks to the folks at Dreamer's Folk in Cornwall for hosting my first concert of 2018!
With fan in Cornwall 
@jenihankins on instagram and twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's so nice of you to take an interest in my blog! Thank you for considering making a comment. I will try to get your comment on my blog ASAP. Thanks for your patience as I moderate it and make sure that it's not spam. Wishing you a wonderful day. Jeni